Sony is out in the field to tackle on Nikon D5 and Canon 1D X Mark 2 with the introduction of the Sony Alpha 9 full-frame mirrorless camera that targets wedding, action and sports photographers. It packs a 24-megapixel stacked CMOS sensor and capable of shooting at a whopping 20 frames per second with autofocus.
Sony Alpha 9 General Specifications
- World’s first 24MP full-frame stacked CMOS sensor
- 20 fps continuous shooting with full AF (electronic shutter, 12-bit files)
- 10 fps continuous shooting with AF with adapted lenses
- Blackout-free continuous shooting with buffer up to 241 compressed RAW files OR 362 JPEG
- 5-stop (estimated) 5-axis in body image stabilisation (IBIS)
- Silent, vibration-free shooting at speeds up to 1/32,000 sec
- 693 point focal plane phase detection AF points with 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second
- 3.7 million dots (1280 x 960 pixels) OLED viewfinder with up to 120 fps refresh rate
- 1.44 million dots rear touchscreen LCD
- Professional features, Ethernet port for FTP, Dual SD card slots and extended battery life
- Oversampled UHD 4K/24p video from full sensor width (1.24x crop for 30p)
As a photographer myself, I am thrilled to have the chance to have a quick hands-on session with the Alpha 9 today during the Malaysia official launch event. I filled the 32 GB SD card with over 500 RAW photos in less than 5 minutes. With 20 fps, you will need more high capacity SD cards. Below are some of the selected photos taken with the Sony Alpha 9 + Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS. Click on the photo for the exposure settings.
Also announced during the event is the availability and pricing of the new Sony E-mount full-frame lenses. Too bad that we don’t get to test the lenses today.
Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
The 100-400mm is probably one of the most useful lenses for sports and wildlife photography. Especially it covers the sweet spot of 135mm to 300mm to capture and frame the subject in a reasonable distance.
While we still don’t get anything like the 300mm f/2.8 for that amazing low light performance, still this lens will offer quite a versatility with the focal length of 100-400mm.
Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
Next up is the wide angle lens with fixed aperture of f/2.8. With this lens, the Sony E-mount holy trinity is now complete. Offering sophisticated corner to corner sharpness even at the widest 16mm focal length.
Sony FE 12-24mm F4 G
Then, the third lens would be the Sony E-mount’s widest full-frame lens ever. At 12mm, you can take some of the most amazing looking photos with it.
Pricing and Availability
The Sony Alpha 9 and the new Sony E-Mount full-frame lenses are now available in Malaysia from authorised dealers.
Sony Alpha 9 (body only) – RM 21,799
Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS – RM 12,699
Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM – RM 10,899
Sony FE 12-24mm F4 G – RM 7,899
Are you holding back the purchase of the D5 or 1D X Mark 2?